Sunday, October 18, 2009

R.I.P. Reviews!

I'm really enjoying this challenge! So far I have read three books. Here are my (short) reviews.


Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Valentina and Julia inherit their aunt's apartment by Highgate Cemetery. The twin sisters get caught up in getting to know the eccentric tenants in the building - a scholar who is writing his thesis on the cemetery and a crossword-puzzle enthusiast who suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder. AND their flat is haunted by their aunt's ghost who is fascinated with them and tries to communicate with them in many creative ways.

I loved this. I did like The Time Traveler's Wife better, but this was a very fun ghost story that hit the spot. She is such a good storyteller. There is even a little ghost kitten!



In the Woo
ds by Tana French

This book had my attention from the beginning - three children go out to play in the woods and they don't return home after dark. Only one child is found - digging his nails into a tree, so frightened that he cannot talk for days, his shoes covered in blood. From there, the book is mostly a lot of detective work and the ending was disappointing. The biggest mystery of the book wasn't even answered. I was expecting something spooky and fun and this wasn't it, although her descriptions of the children playing in the woods and on top of the old castle were very vivid and beautiful.



Fear the Worst by Linwood Barclay

This is about a car salesman whose 17-yr-old daughter goes missing. He frantically searches for her all while being framed for her murder and being framed for other crimes. He also has to evade the police this whole time because they are looking at him as their suspect. I flew through this book in two days. It was a bit predictable, but the book moves so fast that as soon as you have something figured out, the author acknowledges it and throws something else at you. I don't think I've ever read a thriller before but I liked this a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment