Saturday, October 18, 2008

Read-a-thon

I haven't posted lately, but I wanted to write about the 24-hr Read-a-thon which is going on today. I'm not reading all 24-hrs today, but I am reading off and on and going to the bookstore today, so I'm doing my part! I'm reading The Child in Time by Ian Mcewan today.

Here are my favorites from these past couple of months:


Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
A meteor hits the moon, knocking it off its orbit and the moon moves closer to the Earth, becoming gargantuan in size. Panic ensues, the world goes to chaos, climate goes haywire, and pandemic and shortage of food and clean water leaves many people dead. Miranda and her mother and brothers struggle to survive.


The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian
Someone lent this one to me earlier this year and I just now picked it up to read it. It is a psychological thriller that starts off with an event that will get your heart pumping. You read the book believing one thing but there is a twist at the end where you discover that nothing in the story is as it appeared. I was expecting some kind of twist so I figured it out in the middle, but it was still a good read. The book is about a social worker who is researching a box of photographs. In the beginning of the story, she is attacked while bicycling and that ties into the events that come later. Hard to describe. It's one of those books where you're turning the pages backward almost as much as you're turning them forward.


Silas Marner by George Eliot
This was such a gentle story and very easy to read. I liked it. The story is about a weaver who has to start a new life somewhere else after he was set up for a crime he didn't do. In the new town, Marner doesn't socialize with anyone and he becomes a hermit. He accumulates a lot of wealth from working long hours and his gold is his only friend. He is robbed one night and feels like all is lost. Then, a baby girl whose mother died in a snowstorm toddles into his house and he adopts her. He finds new joy in raising his daughter and even feels like his gold was restored to him through her golden hair.


All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
This is a war account and not very entertaining or riveting, but the comradeship between the soldiers held me until each character left the story through their own personal tragedy. The writing is also very beautiful and there are many quotes I went back to over and over. I was surprised to see that it's translated from German -it flows together so well.


The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
A story set in the future where society is strictly controlled and people are arranged by hierarchy. The story is told by a Handmaid, whose role is to bear children for the childless Wives. A frightening story.


The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
The premise sounds kind of ridiculous - flesh eating plants taking over the world. Still, I don't read much science fiction but I really enjoyed this.


We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Take any old local legend of a haunted house still occupied by two ghostly women and make it true. The two occupants of the house happily tidy up the rooms, preserve jams, bake, and make clothes out of odd materials all while the local townspeople wonder whether or not people really do live in that house.


I hope everyone who is participating in the challenge has a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment