Friday, October 31, 2008

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

A doctor with a very analytical, scientific mind decides to study a haunted house using a tape measurer, thermometer, and careful notetaking. He invites three guests to spend the summer with him in the house to help make observations.

One young woman, Eleanor, jumps at the chance to have an adventure and leave the confines of her sister's house. She drives slowly to Hill House, drinking in all the new scenery and imagining herself living a carefree life.

I loved the banter back and forth between the houseguests and their reactions to the stoic housekeeper who only seems to be able to say three things, "I clear the table at 10." "I will not come if you scream in the night." "That's not what I was hired to do."

Eleanor slowly loses her mind during her stay in the house and the story gets creepier every time you turn the page.

Oh, and now my future daughter must have a cup of stars to drink her milk in. There's just no other way.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the housekeeper too. Very creepy. I thought it was interesting the way the author so artfully portrayed Eleanor's very happy fantasies on her way to Hill House with Hill House itself.

    ReplyDelete