Saturday, August 2, 2008

Behind the Attic Wall by Sylvia Cassedy

A young orphan girl named Maggie goes to live with her great-aunts in a mysterious old house that used to be a boarding school. Maggie discovers a haunted room in the attic where a pair of china dolls calmly invite her to have tea with them. She visits the dolls often and eventually solves the mystery of who they really are.

Maggie's Uncle Morris is like the Cheshire cat, appearing unexpectedly and saying the oddest things that only confuse and annoy the poor girl. Maggie seems to be the only sane creature in the book, even though she is the one hearing voices in the walls and chatting pleasantly with haunted china dolls.

This was a cute book and reminded me of another book I read when I was a kid. It was also about a girl finding a haunted dollhouse in an attic. I think it was called The Dollhouse Murders, but I'm not sure.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds eerily like one I read when I was young, forgot, and have been trying to remember ever since. I'm going to have to read this and find out if this is the one.

    ReplyDelete